Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution is recommended for use on
reusable medical instruments and equipment. Sporicidin has been used in
hospitals, medical offices, dental offices, laboratories, pharmaceutical and
industrial clean rooms since 1978.
- Hospital high level disinfection of scopes (recommended and/or used by
major scope manufacturers such as Pentax, Haag-Streit and Olympus)
- Medical instruments
- Equipment and surfaces in operating rooms
- Equipment and surfaces in endoscopy, gastroenterology, urology,
anesthesiology and respiratory therapy
Sporicidin Sterilizing Solution Features and Benefits
- FDA 510(k) cleared for sterilization of hospital instruments and
- EPA registered for disinfection of hospital instruments and equipment
- OSHA compliance with Bloodborne Pathogens Standard (29 CFR 1910.1030)
- Non-corrosive to instruments and equipment including endoscopes,
surgical instruments, plastics, latex, vinyl, glass, metal and porcelain
- Provides 100% kill of disease and odor causing organisms. It is
fungicidal, bactericidal, virucidal and tuburculocidal
- Lowest level of glutaraldehyde (1%) accepted by FDA to achieve
- High level disinfection in 20 minutes at 25º C
- Alcohol free, safe for equipment*
- Will not cloud lenses or clog air and water channels
- Non-staining, non-flammable and non-abrasive
- No special shipping or disposal restrictions
* Alcohols are inappropriate for use on surfaces because they coagulate
protein, are poor cleaners and rapid evaporation makes adequate contact times
impossible on open surfaces"
Block, SS, ed., Disinfection, Sterilization and Preservation, 4th ed.,
Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1991
Sporicidin® Sterilizing Solution Catalog Number and
Sporicidin® Catalog Number
Sporicidin® Sterilizing Solution, Indicator Kit
(application in controlled environments only)
Sterilizing Solution Gallon Bottle - 4 bottles per case
Quart (32 oz.) Bottle - 4 bottles per box, 4 boxes per case
/16 bottles per case/
Activated Sterilizing Solution /PDF/
MSDS Sterilizing Solution Activator /PDF/
Sterilizing Solution Buffer /PDF/
Sporicidin Sterilizing Solution Benefits
Sporicidin Sterilizing Solution FAQs
Sporicidin Sterilizing Solution Label /PDF/
Sporicidin Sterilizing Solution Outline /PDF/
For pricing information or assistance finding the right Sporicidin®
disinfectant, please contact us at:
Sporicidin® Sterilizing Solution - Frequently Asked Questions
How does Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution differ from Cidex
Sporicidin is a 1% glutaraldehyde sterilizing solution which has been used in
hospitals and clinics on endoscopes since 1978. Cidex OPA®, a more recent
product, is not a sterilizing solution. It is a high level disinfectant
containing orthophthalaldehyde, which recently caused "9 episodes of anaphylaxis
following cystoscopy," as reported in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical
Sokol WN. Nine
episodes of anaphylaxis following cystoscopy caused by Cidex OPA (orthophthalaldehyde)
high-level disinfectant in 4 patients after cystoscopy, J Allergy Clin Immunol
What is Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution?
Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution is a cold sterilizing
solution. It is a potentiated alkaline glutaraldehyde (pH 7.4) containing the
same phenate buffer system found in Chloraseptic Mouthwash®. The phenate buffer
produces a synergistic effect accounting for the lowest level of glutaraldehyde
necessary for 100% hospital level disinfection.
How does Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution differ from other
glutaraldehyde sterilizing solutions?
1. It is the only 1% glutaraldehyde solution that is registered by FDA for
sterilization. Other such products require up to 3.4 % glutaraldehyde.
2. It requires only 20 minute soaking time for high level disinfection. Other
glutaraldehyde products require up to 45 minutes soaking time.
3. It is environmentally safe. The container can be disposed of in the regular
4. It is recommended and/or used by the major scope manufacturers (Pentax, Haag-Streit,
Olympus, etc.), for use with their instruments.
Does Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution require special
No, if it is used in a room with normal ventilation.
What is the shelf life of Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting
Is Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution's safe for use on
metal instruments commonly used in hospitals and clinics?
Yes. However, since Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution contains
water, we recommend that instruments not be left overnight (after the
appropriate soaking time), or on damp towel, to prevent corrosion due to
electrolytic activity of metals in water.
Is phenol present in the activated product?
No. During the manufacturing process, the phenol which is listed on the label is
converted into sodium phenate (pH 7.4).
How does Sporicidin® Sterilizing and Disinfecting Solution smell?
It has a hospital-clean fragrance which many users equate with cleanliness.